Climb aboard Yorkshire's Great Little Steam Trains for a scenic three and-a-half mile journey along the KLR's 15-inch narrow-gauge railway in the heart of Yorkshire.
The Kirklees Light Railway runs along the old track-bed of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway’s Clayton West branch line. The journey from Clayton West to Shelley offers fine views of the Grade II listed Emley Transmitting Station and passes through the ancient woodland of Blacker Wood which is mentioned in the Domesday Book. The trip also includes passage through the Shelley Woodhouse Tunnel which – at 467m long – is the longest tunnel on any 15-inch narrow gauge line in Britain.
You will start your journey at Clayton West Station where there is a large free car park which can accommodate even the largest of coaches.
The Buffer Stop Cafe at Clayton West Station is ideal for grabbing a quick drink, snack or something more substantial before you begin your journey. All dietary requirements can be catered for with advance notice.
A return journey on the train can be completed in 65 minutes, however you may choose to lengthen your time with us by adding different aspects into your visit: we can happily organise tours of the engine sheds and workshop, talks with our drivers and enginemen, photographic run pasts of the train, afternoon teas, light snacks, full meals, stop offs for group walks and more!
We are ideally situated just 10 minutes from the M1 and in close proximity to a number of other local attractions such as the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, the National Coal Mining Museum, Standedge Tunnel, Last of the Summer Wine country (Holmfirth) and the Peak District, should you wish to continue your day out.
How much does a group visit cost?
The below fares cover a return journey on the railway. Additional requirements can be discussed at the time of booking.
Drivers and guides travel for free and receive complimentary refreshments (maximum of two people per coach).
Railway Operational Day 2021
15 - 29 People
- Group rate: £6.95
- Child (2-16 years): £5.95
- Child (under 2 years): FREE
- Group rate: £6.45
- Child (2-16 years: £5.45
- Child (under 2 years): FREE
Railway Non-Operational Day 2021
- Steam locomotive minimum charge (up to 34 people) - £225
- Diesel locomotive minimum charge (up to 27 people) - £175
- For groups of 35 people or more, a steam charter charge will be £6.45pp
- For groups of 28 people or more, a diesel charter will be £6.45pp
Catering packages & further information
Treat your group to a scrumptious meal or afternoon tea alongside their journey. Catering can be provided either before or after your journey – please just advise your preference at the time of booking.
Please see our information sheet for further details.
How do I book a group visit?
Please contact the office to book your visit on 01484 865727 or email us at email@example.com.
Terms & Conditions
- Group bookings should be made at well in advance of your desired travel dates
- To qualify for group rates, a minimum number of 15 fare-paying passengers is required, otherwise standard fares/minimum charges will apply
- Final passenger numbers are required no later than seven days before travel
- After your booking has been made, a letter of confirmation will be sent to you. Please inform us of any errors or amendments as soon as possible
- A non-refundable 30% deposit is required at the time of booking
- Cancellations should be made in writing, or by email, at least seven days in advance of travel, although the deposit will not be refundable
- On the day of travel, please ensure you arrive at Clayton West Station at least 20-30 minutes before your scheduled departure to allow time for boarding
- Carriages will be reserved for your party, although seats within those carriages will be unallocated
- The Kirklees Light Railway reserves the right to alter, cancel or suspend services and accepts no liability for any loss, inconvenience or delay caused thereby
If you would like to book please contact us