The Kirklees Light Railway is rich in history, running along the old Clayton West Branch Line and – with links to the local textile and mining industries – makes an ideal venue for an educational visit.
Whether you are looking for a visit tailored around a specific curriculum topic, or just looking for a fun day out, the railway can assist with your requirements.
What do KLR educational visits involve?
Our educational visits include the following as standard:
- A return train ride behind a steam locomotive between Clayton West and Shelley
- A visit to the engine shed and accompanying talk
- An opportunity for the children to watch the engine turn on the turntable
- A chance to "let off some steam" in our outdoor adventure play area
- An indoor/outdoor space to eat packed lunches
- A miniature train ride around the duck pond (subject to availability)
- A visit to the Gift Shop
- A free ticket for each child to return for a future visit
The following optional extras can be added onto the standard package:
- Ice creams or lollies for staff and children (additional charge)
- Lunches for staff and children (additional charge)
- Pre-packed gift shop bundles (additional charge)
- On non-operational days, the cafe can be opened for drink purchases from 10.15am to 1.30pm (additional charge + cost of drinks purchased)
If you have any other requirements, we will always try and meet them where possible. Please be sure to mention any special requests at the time of booking.
When can we come on an educational visit?
We are able to offer educational visits as follows:
Monday to Friday from 25 January - 12 February 2021, 22 February - 26 February 2021 & 1 November - 26 November 2021
Tuesday to Thursday from 2 March - 25 March 2021, 13 April - 27 May 2021, 8 June - 15 July 2021 & 21 September - 21 October 2021
How much do educational visits cost?
- Child: £5.95
- Adult: One free adult for every four paying children
- Additional Adult: £5.95
A minimum charge of £200 applies to bookings of fewer than 34 children.
How do I book an educational visit?
Please call the office with your requirements on 01484 865727.
Our current risk assessment for educational visits can be downloaded here.
If you would like to book please contact us