Re-Opening after COVID-19 Closure
REIMPOSED LOCAL RESTRICTIONS - UPDATED 31 JULY 2020
The announcement at 10pm on Thursday 30 July 2020 regarding reinstated COVID restrictions in Kirklees does not affect visits to the KLR so long as visitors do not mix with other social bubbles & continue to adhere to all COVID secure measures (social distancing, wearing face coverings, washing & sanitising your hands, following one-way systems etc.).
We DO NOT want to head into a full lockdown so PLEASE play your part in helping everyone stay as safe as possible.
For what it's worth, Kirklees is a large metropolitan authority & the KLR's local, rural area is not affected by the latest increase in COVID cases.
After being closed for 117 days due to the COVID pandemic, we were thrilled to re-open to visitors on Saturday 11 July 2020.
Lots of changes have taken place to esnure COVID security for all. Your visit to the KLR will still be a fun day out but you will need to remember a few things:
- Visitors must book their visit online in advance HERE
- Social distancing of between 1-2m is expected and floor markings & signage will help visitors with this
- There is a limited capacity on our trains to ensure a distance of at least 1.2m between ‘social bubbles’
- There are hand sanitizer stations throughout the facilities – please use them!
- Until further notice, face masks are compulsory for anyone over the age of 11 years old travelling on the trains (unless medically exempt) and moving around inside the station facilities (shop, Ticket Office, Tea Room & cafe unless eating of course). This is a compulsory measure as per current law in England
- The menu in The Buffer Stop Café is reduced with an emphasis on Grab & Go options to be eaten outside
- The Buffer Stop Café has limited indoor seating on a first come, first served basis and diners will have to provide their contact details to the café staff as outlined by the UK Government in the event that a COVID outbreak occurs
- Visitors can(but don't have to!) pre-order their takeaway food options online in advance HERE
- Shelley Tea Room is offering a takeaway only service until further notice
- There are restrictions on the number of people allowed in the playgrounds and a time limit to your play. Please respect these measures to ensure everyone has a fun day out
- The Clayton Flyer (miniature train ride around the duck pond) is open but only contactless payments will be accepted
Please see below for some helpful infographics:
We are proud that the KLR has received the UK tourism industry standard for COVID-19, recognising that we have followed all relevant Government guidance and that we have esnured processes are in place to maintain cleanliness and to aid social distancing. We're Good to Go!
Due to the COVID pandemic, we have sadly had to cancel the following events:
- Day Out with Thomas in July and August
- The Cocktail Express in July (August is still scheduled to go ahead)
- Vintage Vehicle Rally
- Steam & Diesel Gala Weekend
If you have tickets for the cancelled Day Out with Thomas events, Quay Tickets should have been in contact with you via email. If not, please contact them at email@example.com and include details of your order reference number. The KLR does not sell Day Out with Thomas tickets directly and has no access to the ticket booking systems used by Quay Tickets.
If you need to contact us at the railway, please bear in mind that when we re-open, we will be working on a skeleton staff as many of our volunteers are unable to return to the railway at the moment. This means that on some occasions, there won’t be anyone manning the office phones or email. Please bear with us and we will respond to you as quickly as we can.
Once again, we’d like to thank everyone for the amazing support, patience and kind understanding we received. We truly look forward to seeing you soon.
Updated: 24 June 2020