Educational visits to Kirklees Light Railway
The Kirklees Light Railway is rich in history, running along the old Clayton West Branch Line and makes an ideal venue for an educational visit. Whether you are looking for a visit tailored around a specific curriculum topic such as transport or just looking for a fun day out, the railway can assist with your requirements.
What do our visits involve?
Our visits include the following as standard:
- Return train ride behind a steam locomotive between Clayton West and Shelley
- Opportunity for the children to watch the engine turned on the turntable
- A chance to "let off some steam" in our outdoor adventure play area
- An indoor/outdoor space to eat packed lunches
The following optional extras can be added onto the standard package*:
- Visit to the engine shed to view our locomotives and carriages - we are able to conduct a talk in the engine shed
- Miniature train ride around the duck pond
- Ice cream/lollies for staff and children
- Lunches for staff and children
If you have any other requirements, we will try and meet them where possible.
*some additional extras incur an extra charge
When can we offer educational visits?
The majority of our school visits are held in June and July on Wednesday's - Friday's when the railway is operating mid-week.
The mid week operational dates for 2016 are as follows:
8th - 10th June
15th - 17th June
22nd - 24th June
29th June - 1st July
1st - 3rd July
6th - 8th July
13th - 15th July
20th - 22nd July
If you would like to visit us when the railway is closed, this is possible as you are able to charter a train. Please see below for prices.
How much do educational visits cost?
Railway Operational Day 2016 Rates
|Adults||1 adult free with every 4 paying children.|
|Miniature Train Ride||25p per child|
Railway Non - Operational Day 2016 Rates
You can charter a train for a visit. The following minimum costs apply:
Steam locomotive - £150.00
Diesel locomotive - £100.00
How to Book?
Please call the office with your requirements on 01484 865727
Our current risk assessment for educational visits can be downloaded here
We also offer school Santa Special visits in December. Please check back for more information nearer the time.